by Nomi Berger
There’s no better time to show your favorite feline how important she is than by putting on the proverbial “Ritz” for her birthday. Why not consider “wrapping” these suggestions in festive ribbons of love and making her big day one to remember?
- Purchase a cat-safe cake. What’s a birthday without a birthday cake? As close as your nearest pet store, these cakes are certain to please the palette of even the most finicky feline. And they’re all created from imaginative combinations of such lip smacking, cat-compatible ingredients as chicken, salmon, tuna and shrimp, peanut butter, bananas, pumpkin puree and applesauce, eggs, milk, cheese and plain yogurt – to name but a few.
- Buy new cat treats. Famously fond of treats, your cat will never turn down her paws at having more. Select the most tempting ones you can find – including her favourites – at your local pet store, “hide” them throughout your home and then encourage her to “seek” them out.
- Get her a new toy. While some cats have one particular toy that they treasure above all others, some are more easily bored and tend to lose interest in a toy – any toy — almost immediately. Whether your kitty falls into the former category or the latter, a new toy is always welcome, especially if it’s unexpected. But before you buy that new toy, always remember to make it an age-inappropriate one.
- Celebrate in style. If your kitty is an outgoing and easygoing social butterfly, undaunted by the challenge of dressing to the nines, ensure, nonetheless, that the costume you choose is “feline friendly” – loose enough to be comfortable. For the less adventurous but still game kitty, forego the costume altogether and opt for a festive bow tie or bandana instead. It may be a whisper of an outfit, but a whiskered face never looked cuter than when highlighted by a bow tie or bandana
- Have a professional photo taken. Locate a pet photographer near you and book an appointment well ahead of her birthday for a special portrait session. Choose the most feline-flattering photo and let your imagination run wild. Have it embossed on anything from note cards and note pads to ceramic mugs and cotton T-shirts, then “gift” yourself and those you love as a permanent reminder of this special day.
- Please and pamper her. What warmer, more obvious way to observe kitty’s birthday than by paying more attention to her than usual? If your kitty adores affection, indulge her by extending her regular petting sessions. If her preference is playing, play with her for much longer than you normally would. If she’s addicted to adventure and isn’t allowed access to certain rooms or areas of your home, let her accompany you into one of them for awhile and sweeten the experience with a high-value treat.
- Donate to NTCR in kitty’s name. Since birthdays are best when shared, why not share her “lucky” day with an animal not quite as lucky? Consider making a tax-deductible contribution to us in your kitty’s name to help us rescue and care for more kittens and cats in need. Or why not visit our Wish List Store at www.northtorontocatrescue.com/our-wishlist.